Life Is Good Today – 2018 Fishing Contest
Rules & Regulations
- Salmon Fishing Contest duration is from Thursday August 16th thru Wednesday, Sept. 12th, 2018.
- Fishing for salmon in Region 8 is during daylight hours only.
- Only Salmon caught in Mabel Lake qualify for this contest.
- Participants are encouraged to refer to Fisheries and Oceans Canada – Okanagan Region 8 – Freshwater Fishing Regulations Synopsis to review all BC Fisheries Regulations that apply to the current Salmon Fishing season.
- Regulations can change at any time.
- There is a monthly limit of 4 Chinook in Region 8.
- Daily Limit – 4 per day – only 2 over 50 cm.
- All retained Chinook must measure 30 cm or more from tip of nose to fork in tail (fork length).
- An “adult Chinook” in Region 8 is defined as a Chinook being over 50 cm (fork length).
- No fishing is allowed within 100 meters of any government facility operated for counting, passing or rearing fish.
- All registered participants who are over 16 years of age must carry a valid Non-Tidal BC Fishing License with a Conservation Surcharge Stamp in order to keep a salmon of any size or species.
- Those 16 and under must carry proof of age.
- Please attain your fishing licenses PRIOR to registering for the contest.
- Only Single Barbless hooks – no barbed hooks allowed on Mabel Lake.
- Contest closes at 12 noon on Wednesday Sept 12th, 2018.All “Catches” must be weighed and recorded by 12:15 on Wednesday, Sept 12th.
- Winners will be announced at 10am on Thursday, Sept 13th, 2018.
- Winners must take prizes as awarded.
- There will be no substitutions. NO exceptions.
- Winner will be determined by the highest fish weight; in the event of a tie, a coin toss will be done to determine the winner.
- Only paid participants can register their catch into the contest.
- Participants can register into the contest up to and including 10:00 am Wednesday, Sept. 12th, 2018.
MABEL LAKE FISHING
If fishing is your passion, come early in the season for Rainbow Trout, or try your luck at landing a ‘big one’ during the Salmon run from mid August through to mid September.
Mabel Lake offers great trout fishing throughout the summer season and fantastic salmon fishing during late summer.
The Chinook Salmon fishing season normally opens mid August and closes mid September. Licenses are required and are available on-line. Trout fishing is open year round in the lake and is best early on in the season when the water is a little cooler. Downriggers are often used throughout the season to get the lure deep enough to catch the really big ones. Some of the local favourite lures are Hoochies, Flat fish, mac squid or Wedding rings for Kokanee and Trout. All of the above lures are available at the store.